Benefits of the Project
As a made-in-B.C. sustainable energy resource for B.C.’s North Coast, the NaiKun project will:
- Provide long-term, sustainable jobs, training, and economic benefits
The NaiKun team is committed to creating opportunity along B.C.’s north coast through construction and ongoing maintenance and monitoring employment opportunities, complemented by training and other ancillary benefits resulting from the project.
- Provide a scalable renewable resource that can be expanded from 400-2000+ megawatts (MW) as demand grows
Wind energy is one of the cleanest, most abundant and cost-effective resources we can use to generate power. It is also one of the fastest growing sources for electricity in the world and offshore wind projects such as the one proposed by Naikun, are successfully operating in Europe today. NaiKun’s project supports B.C.’s commitment to develop clean, renewable, made-in-B.C. electricity and can make a significant contribution to meeting B.C.’s growing energy needs in the North West.
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) and contribute to a cleaner LNG industry
NaiKun is working collaboratively with LNG proponents to find meaningful and sustainable ways to mitigate impacts of industry on the north coast air shed. Protecting B.C.’s north coast is of critical importance to the project team.
- Eliminate the need for Haida Gwaii’s current reliance on diesel power
The NaiKun project includes a grid connection to Haida Gwaii from Prince Rupert. This connection will eliminate the dependence on expensive, diesel generation and will allow for development on Haida Gwaii that is dependant on abundant, affordable electricity.
- Facilitate opportunity for other renewable energy sources
By providing connectivity to the electricity grid, the connection will also facilitate the development of on-island generation projects such as wind, biomass and run of river.